Friday, September 28, 2012

The big London Dream!

A big city..new girl..

Yeah, this is my story of being in London
Yeah!! The big London dream!
The dream which probably haunted my great grandfathers
The pre-independence dream of many Indians..many of whose got realized here..

It's been 9 months since my first ever step in this country.
As I am set to leave this country in a few days time, it's fitting for this post to be published now :)

And if I say that I have grown and changed in this country would be an understatement.

I arrived here on eve of 2012 new year.
I was a jittery, nervous girl when i first arrived.
Today i feel I am at home. The city has grown on me..

I dont know what contributed to this feeling..to this confidence in the city..
It's probably my roommates, my friends, the unknown strangers or just me myself.

When I first arrived, I hardly felt I was in a strange land.
Looks like, I saw the mould from which India was shaped. We have so many similarities.
We are 2 countries with rich culture and heritage.
Something which amazes me is, the pride they take in their history. Maybe a lesson we Indians need a lot.
They preserve every piece of their history. Every small monument.
There is so much to see here, I could never get enough of it.

There is a London beyond the Big Ben. The royal culture really does penetrate into the city.
It's so subtle you would hardly notice it.
I am so awe struck by it, maybe coz this is my first encounter with something close to royalty.
It's one of the few cultures with the monarchy still in power. That's something to respect too.
I wish we could have some of our rulers in power too! :P Amusing thought :)

When I hear the various stories of all the Indian origin-British citizens, it's sometimes heart rendering and sometimes inspiring.
The stories of their great grandfathers running away from India and landing in Africa.
Their stories of struggle and their own victory of finally living in the queen's land.

London is almost half encroached by Indians. So if you are from India, you wouldnt feel out of place :)
There are some Indian restaurants from as long as 1905!!
These are the standing proof of a long past that ties these 2 countries.

And you will find many inhabitants from Pakistan too. Probably a rare case where Indians and Pakistanis can be friends, which can happen only here.
They have very similar stories of their ancestors fleeing from Pakistan or then India (before Partition)...
In a subtle way, we are all so similar with such similar backgrounds. Maybe the same reason for our hatred? I wonder..


Though there's a certain bitterness about us being taken over by the British for more than 2 centuries.
I feel times and equations have changed in today's times.

For me, personally it's been a wonderful experience being here. I would affirmatively say I will definitely want to revisit this place again.
Though I will miss all my dear friends here. I do hope I will get another chance for another encounter with all of them.
I will leave with a heavy heart, but also with hopeful and joyous eyes for a better future and a new journey.
Loads of love to the paradise of liveliness!


--Shreya

No comments:

Post a Comment